Friday, June 20, 2008

Ho, here I come :)

Sorry, no pics. Just the written word, haha.
This week has been the beginning to my time here in Ho. After all the people on my program left this past weekend, I was left to pack and regroup myself for this next leg. It was wonderful to get to spend some quality time with my family after havinghad to study so much the past couple weeks. Yes, school is finally over and I hated so much to see everybody go, but all in all my semester was incredible and unforgettable.
Before coming to Ho, a couple weeks ago I was informed that I would be living with another volunteer, and to my surprise it was one of my best friends growing up in Seattle, Ally. I couldn't believe and it has been one of the biggest blessings having her here. She flew in on Monday but one of her bags didn't make it so she was able to recooperate from the trip for a couple days and then we headed to Ho and Wednesday. It has been great to have her here not only just because I love her, but she is a breath of fresh air. She sees Ghana with fresh, admiring eyes, and has helped me snap out of some of things I get frustrated with here. So all in all, our first couple days here have been awesome.
We live with a couple and there 5 year old son and each have a bed. It is apartment style housing, or what they call 'flats'. We took a tro-tro here and were met by the man in charge, Livinus. He is so wonderful and we soon met all three of his adorable kids. He showed us around town and we went to the clinic of New Seed International, as well, where I'll be spending some of my time. Ho is a lot different from Legon/Accra because it is a medium sized city/town in surrounded by a gorgeous hillside on one side and flowing jungle'esque-type surroundings on the other. It is so beautiful here, a lot less city lights, and not as many people.
On Thursday, we went to the New Seed office, but then were able to attend this workshop/conference at the hospital dealing with HIV/AIDS in the media. It was a great way to get more information on HIV so can be more knowledgable, and it was also interesting to see the way Ghanians discuss and deal in regards to the disease. My mind was on sensory overload, let's just say. But then that evening, a volunteer who had been there for a couple weeks was leaving the next day so we had a little dinner gathering by a volunteer house near the clinic and met a lot of kids around the area, played, danced and ate. It was so much fun and again, everyone is just about as kinds and generous as can be. Today we were at the hospital, where New Seed hosts discussion groups for HIV and AIDS in the community, as well as gives out food supplements and antiretroviral treatments. We were able to sit in and listen to the discussion (at least the bit in English) and talk to some of the people. The rest of the day has been pretty relaxed, and Ally and I are just exploring the town and happened to the internet.
We are going to be able to attend a wedding tomorrow, of one of the doctors at the hospital, with Livinus and other staff tomorrow. I look forward to all that will hold and I here church on Sunday is a whole other ball game in itself. We shall see.
I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their summers. Take care.

No comments: